Pages

Paints

Paints

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Holy Anime Lands, Batman!

I always have wanted to play with my alters in my deck. However, I have been hesitant to add them to my deck for standard and have the judge reject them. So my solution: start altering lands! If the judge decides they are not legal I can have tons of extras with me to replace them, and who really would be that strict over a land? 

Thus began my land alterations... I immediately wanted to add some of my favorite anime characters to some lands. The first to come to mind- Sanji from One Piece. My fiance loves Sanji's character as well, so that finalized the decision. I wanted to keep the characters I used similar in color to the land they were being painted on and Sanji's blond hair fit perfectly for a Plains. To select the land for the background i looked for one that was more of a backdrop and had little detail, so as to not distract attention from the character. The result:


But why stop at one land? I almost instantly decided to do another anime land. My favorite anime character of all time is Yoruichi Shihoin from Bleach. I know she is not a main character, or has tremendous character development, or even the best idea behind her character, but for some reason she is just my favorite. So, although she is not specifically a "red" character in the way Sanji fit into "white," i went with it and painted her on a mountain. Once again I sought out a more dull art for the land- one that would just hide in the background rather than seeming too busy. And voila:

And of course, I had to do one for my fiance- one of his favorite characters is Kisuke Urahara, and he runs green mana saources in all his decks. Kisuke has a rather silly personality and is often the definition of ridiculous, so I chose a pose to represent that. 
Whether or not the lands are deemed tournament legal by judges, I can guarantee they will all find there ways into my deck when I play casually. The experimentation with completely adding to the art, rather than trying to blend and match with it, was a lot of fun and is something I am going to experiment with a lot more.... maybe even outside of lands!

*MTG Plains Art (c) Noah Bradley, Sanji (c) Toei Animation Co.
*MTG Mountain Art (c) Eytan Zana, Yoruichi Shihoin (c) Viz Media LLC
*MTG Forest Art (c) John Avon, Kisuke Urahara (c) Viz Media LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment