Pages

Paints

Paints

Sunday, June 23, 2013

And so it Begins...



 *

It all began with a sketch... ^ that sketch to be exact. I was sitting at an FNM, burnt out from the work week and not up to playing. My fiance had wanted to play, so I tagged along, sketchbook in hand, planning to hide in one off the rows of comic books at the store and draw. 

As I was sitting against a window, ipod blaring and drawing away, one of the older players came over and asked if I would mind showing him what I was drawing. I pulled out my headphones and flipped around the sketch book to show him. He looked at it for a bit then said the fateful words... "Have you ever done any card alters?"

I had never even heard of altered cards. I am quite the Magic noob- I think I am on month 2 of playing. I mentioned it to my fiance on the drive home but didn't think much else about it.

Then a week or so later I was bored and decided to google it. I instantly wanted to try altering some cards of my own. My first one was quite honestly an epic fail. However as history has proven, failures tend to be the best ways to learn.  I realized what did not work, and with the help of a few Youtube tutorials I tried again with this result:

*
There was definitely still room for improvement, but it was a much more successful attempt.  Armed with a bit of confidence, a better understanding, (and lots of paint!) I dove right into more alters.

So here I am now- constantly practicing, trying new techniques, and always looking for the next sweet card to alter.

*Above sketch reference: Magic the Gathering Card: Gyre Sage_Artist: Tyler Jacobson
I do not own any rights to the image*
*Magic the Gathering Card: Cloudfin Raptor_Artist: Peter Mohrbacher
I do not own any rights to the image*

No comments:

Post a Comment